Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Brushes With Greatness

(Inspired by a post from a chat forum I regularly visit)

The poster wrote:

"I reckon it would be nice if there was a "Brushes With Greatness" archive that compiled all these bits together."

"Brushes With Greatness," hmmm.... Yes, this could be a fun and interesting topic.

My brushes with greatness include the time my 5th grade class went on a field trip to see Marcel Marceau perform his pretty amazing mime act in a dinner theater, and then had the honor of a private audience with him for quite awhile after the show, because he and my teacher had somehow struck up a friendship. Mrs. Stamberg was the kind of teacher who took art classes at night, then came back to the classroom the next day and taught us every thing she'd learned about drawing or painting. She was one of those teachers who literally changes the way you think, has a direct hand in shaping you and your interests.

And there was the time I met...ah, you've already heard enough about me meeting the four blokes in Led Zeppelin in a previous post. So I won't go into that one again now.

But my most intense, sustained brush with greatness was the time I sat opposite the white-haired man in the red-and-white checked shirt and the bright red socks as he let his tape recorder run. If you haven't figured out the answer to my "riddle" yet, I'm talkin' about Mr. Studs Terkel.

One day my phone rang, and there was the slightly nasal voice of an old man on the other end. Said he'd seen my op-ed piece in The Chicago Tribune, and had gotten my number from the editor. Said it was Studs Terkel. Me being pretty young and unexposed to Studs at the time, I'd never heard him speak before. So I didn't yet recognize that voice that's so highly recognizable once you've heard it. At first I thought one of my friends was putting me on. More than once I expressed my doubt about the veracity of his claim to be Studs Terkel, almost to the point that he was beginning to get a little irritated with me. :)

Well, he somehow finally convinced me that he was indeed the real McTerkel. And then the poor man had to endure me gushing profusely about what an honor it was to have him call me, about how I couldn't believe it was really him. Then (a bit apologetically), about how I'd read "Working" and loved it, and really meant to read the rest of his books, especially "Hard Times" and "The Good War."

Long story short, he eventually asked me if I'd drop by his office at the public radio station where his program was broadcast, and be one of the interview subjects for his next book. So I headed downtown to the WBEZ offices, where Studs and I chatted for more than an hour while his signature tape recorder captured every word.

And that was the problem. I tried to give him thoughtful, pithy answers to his questions about what the neighborhood I grew up in was like, stuff like that. But I was only in my 20s at the time, still kind of naive and a bit of a crusader. And it probably didn't help that I was feeling kind of down on my old neighborhood and former cohorts at the time, as I'd recently made an abrupt and unexpected return to life in the suburbs after five years at university. So I came off sounding a bit, hmmm...not much like myself at all.

I think it was a combination of me being a little bit shy and nervous under the circumstances and Studs sort of leading the interview a certain way to get the information he needed from me, then just taking little bits of our conversation--sometimes out of context--to use in his book.
But for whatever reasons, in the finished product I come across as a sort of cigarette-smoking, gum-chewing, street-corner or barroom philosopher, a little on the self-righteous side. To keep with that total blue-collar vibe to my character, he never even mentions the (Vietnam-related) opinion piece I wrote that had inspired him to look me up in the first place. So yeah, I'm one of the subjects in one of Studs' books. But I ain't gonna tell ya which one or under what pseudonym. ;)

6 comments:

Peter said...

Hi! Great to see you back. Having read your article I must now consider you famous. Imagine meeting Marcel Marceau. That would have been great! You already know that I met the original ACDC band at our school dance, so that's old news. The only other one I can think of that you might know is Neil Diamond. Who I met at a concert from 100 rows back. I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Regards
Peter

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

Wow! I've read Terkel's books in my training in oral history, and now I'm so intrigued to learn that you were one of his interviewees.

Also dropping by to catch up and to say thank you for the wonderful comments you left on my blog.

Happy New Year!

Julie said...

Ah Peter, so you and Mr. Diamond got to meet and have a little "private" conversation, just between you and the 100 rows of people between you. ;) He's one of my guilty pleasures. I know he's not considered "cool" by rock snob types. But he's so gosh darned earnest, and he puts everything he's got into every show. And "Sweet Caroline," I know from experience, is a great song to have a group singalong to when you're a bit inebriated at a wedding reception. If you hook arms and sway as you sing that unforgettably catchy chorus, all the better. :)

As always, it was lovely to hear from you, my blogging friend. Sorry it's taken me so ridiculously long to reply. In fact, you might have given up on my blog by now and will never even read this. Heck, I'VE almost given up on my blog, so why shouldn't YOU?

But I don't have the heart to take it down. Every day I wake up with the best intentions, thinking, "Maybe today I'll find some time to put up another post" and update this baby. And then the entire day goes by, and I'm just too darn busy to write, until it gets to be about 11 at night, at which point I'm just too darn tired to write.

I started this blog when I was a stay-at-home mom, right before I got my first paying job in 15 years. Now any free time I used to have for things like blogging and writing to Internet friends like you has been obliterated, as I'm putting in 20-25 hours a week for my job (which is worthy of a post itself, as it's what you might call the quintessential "odd job," and I may just write about it one day soon.) That combined with my familial/household responsibilities just doesn't leave much time leftover in a day.

Anyway, I try to get back to your delightful blog every couple of weeks, and I see you've been much more prolific than I've been, writing lots of great, interesting stuff. Good for you, Peter! Or I guess I should say, Good onya! (That's one of the many Aussie expressions that I just love, fun to say and fun to have directed at you.)

Sure wish I could find the time to be a much more regular visitor there, and actually comment on some of your posts now and then, as you always seem to find the time to do for me. Believe me, if I could, I'd be another "Anna" for you over there, always offering support and feedback. Ah well, maybe when I retire, I'll find more time for this blogging world, that I really love being a part of, when I find the time.

But I've got a little "present" for you, if you look over at my links section in the right margin. Something I've been meaning to do ever since I first discovered your wonderful blog.

Take care Peter. And thanks for stopping in and saying hello again.

Julie said...

Hi Kirsten,

So glad to know you managed to read my heartfelt comments about your wonderful blog before it came down (that last part of my sentence has a sad ring to it, like when a beloved, historic building gets torn down. Your blog leaving cyberspace had quite the same effect on me, as if something very refined and good and true had been lost, which it had).

Anyway, thanks for stopping by here to say hello and let me know you read my comments. Glad to know you're still alive and well out there. And I hope your new year is going well too.

As much as I miss those "forest journeys," I sure can relate to your reasons for not continuing with the blogging for now. As you may have noticed by the too-long-ago date of my last post, I'm in a pretty similar situation myself, as I explained to Peter in my comment above.

There are so many "benefits" to the self-expression that blogging so uniquely provides, not to mention the wonderful, enriching conversations I've been able to have with my very tiny core of loyal readers, namely you and Peter. :) But there just don't seem to be enough hours in most of my days to get all those "real life" tasks done and spend enough time with the people who are physically in my life, and still find time leftover for those cyber interactions. So when something's gotta give, I guess it's got to be that cyberworld over the "real world."

Very interesting that you've studied oral history. Have you used the skills you picked up from reading Studs and perhaps other masters of the genre in any of your own publications? Are you working on that next book about Germany? I'd thought of leaving my e-mail address along with my last comments on your blog, but I didn't want to place any more demands on your already-limited time. Too bad time didn't allow us to occasionally resume the conversation we always seemed to enjoy in the comments sections of our mutual blogs. Oh well, you can drop me a line here anytime, as long as my blog is still standing. :)

And speaking of Studs, I hope I didn't leave the impression from my post that he was anything less than a delight to talk to, and that it was anything less than an honor to be interviewed by The Great Interviewer. But as I said, the finished product wasn't quite what I expected it to be. It was a shame to have something I initially was so excited about turn out to be something I was a little embarrassed about in the end.

But I sure did learn a lesson from that experience about how one must take great care about what one says while "on the record," and about the unsettling effect of having your words taken out of context.

All this is knowledge that will surely come in handy next time I sit down to chat with a world-famous interviewer like Studs Terkel. (Yeah, as if, right?) I'll bet I'm one of the only people he's ever interviewed who's come out of the experience with anything less than a really good feeling.

circe said...

Aw, thanks again for your generous words, Julie. My blogging experiences have an ebb and flow to them, too. I understand the job situation--last fall I had to devote more time to work and other activities and blogging had to take a back seat. After all, how many plates can we keep spinning?

Yes, I've certainly used my oral history training in my writing and in my work. Studying oral history trains you to be an excellent listener and more attentive to the uniqueness of people's expressions. It shows you that we all have unique, different voices--which is a good thing!

Peter said...

Hi! Blogging friends never give up on each other. We all have busy lives including you with your new job.

Congratulations or more correctly put, Good onya!

There’s no need to apologise and no I haven’t given up, far from it.

I also find it very hard to post something new so I just keep it to about 5 a month. Even with that low number I struggle to get them out.

My problem is that I spend so much time on getting that one post out!

Like you, my family comes first before anything and if I was to spend any more time on my blog, my lovely wife would get up me for the rent.

Now, you wouldn’t want that to happen, would you? Neither do I.

I’ve appreciated your kind words and I’m flabbergasted by your concern and the gift.

Your Friend,
Peter - from Downunder!